Monday, February 28, 2011

Why I Fish



As I've written about before, I am definitely no stranger to the odd looks and awkward moments when I tell people that I'm a fisherman.  For whatever reason, many people have somewhat negative preconceived notions about my sport -- I guess it just comes with the territory.  People tend to think of it as a 'redneck' sport, but they couldn't be any further from the truth.  For me, the sport of fishing is about much more than catching fish.  It has a much deeper, spiritual importance to me. 

Growing up in Grayson, Georgia, there was never much to do.  Back when Grayson was a small, sparsely populated town, I usually spent my time playing outside in the woods or fishing.  I can remember baiting tiny hooks with bird seed and trying to catch minnows in the creek behind my house.

My dad has always been a very passionate fisherman, and from the time I could walk, I was begging him to take me fishing -- and thankfully, he did.  A lot.  All of my earliest memories revolve around fishing, and that is no exaggeration.  Whether it was sitting on the tailgate of my dad's 1952 Chevrolet with my family watching bobbers on a farm pond, or catching largemouth bass with my dad on Lake Lanier, the sport of fishing is deeply ingrained into every fiber of my being.  My parents even used to go fishing together on local farm ponds when they were teenagers. 

Every time I'm blessed enough to see a sunrise or a sunset from the front deck of my bass boat, my mind is flooded with memories from my childhood -- when life was simple. 

Catching fish is great, and there's nothing that I love more.  However, even the slowest days of fishing can be the most therapeutic for me.  When I fish, absolutely nothing else matters.  I don't think about school, I don't think about sponsorships, and I don't think about money.  I don't have to impress anyone or meet anyone's expectations.  I'm in God's beautiful creation doing what I love to do.  If I catch fish, it's just a welcomed bonus.

When I fish, my soul and mind are free, and I truly hope that everyone has experienced the same feeling at some point in their lives.  My head feels clear, my breaths feel deeper, my feet feel lighter, and my eyes feel wider.  I am at my purest form when I fish -- I am at home when I'm on the water.  If you want to see the raw, unadulterated Walker Smith, come fishing with me.  You will see another side of me. 

Most importantly, I feel so much closer to the Good Lord when I fish.  I've had some of the best talks with Him while I've been on the water.  I feel close to Him when I'm in His creation, and it is a feeling unlike any other.  I don't pray for fish, for bites, or any of that.  Most of the time I'll talk to Him about issues totally unrelated to fishing.  It's just me, Him, and His creation.  It's a deep spiritual connection, and it makes me feel totally at ease.  It cures whatever ails me. 

I am eternally grateful for the opportunity to be a fisherman.  This sport has gotten me through some of my hardest times -- it has always been there for me.  When people let me down or do me wrong, fishing is there for me.  Whenever life is moving too fast and I feel like I can't catch up, fishing is my still point in a turning world.  It brings me back to what matters and above the mundane.  It provides me with unbelievable opportunities to meet and fellowship with outstanding people, to see different parts of the country, and to be closer with our Creator. 

A few brief paragraphs will never be able to accurately articulate the enormous impact that this sport has had on my life -- I could write a book about it, and who knows, maybe I will some day.  However, I do hope that it sheds some light on why I will always be proud to call myself a fisherman.

No comments:

Post a Comment