Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Importance of Humility in Fishing

Recently, while shopping around at a local outdoors store, I met quite an interesting man. As always, I was wearing a fishing t-shirt, and once he noticed, he was all over me like white on rice.  I didn't mind at all, because quite simply, I love meeting new people and I'll gladly talk fishing to a brick wall for hours on end.  After all, Isn't fishing the only thing to talk about?

After the standard "fisherman's greeting" (a quick name introduction and firm handshake followed by a long, usually drawn out description of your boat and any fancy new equipment), I quickly realized that this man wasn't interested in a conversation.  He didn't care about anything coming from my mouth.  This man wanted to let me know that he was the best fisherman on Planet Earth.  Oh joy, lucky me.

I bit my tongue, and decided to be polite and appease and mollify him with frequent head nods, animated eyebrow raises, and enthusiastic smiles.  As he went on, I found myself frantically thinking of a way out.  I wasn't wearing a watch, so I couldn't use the trusty "well, I gotta run" excuse.  I left my cell phone in the truck, so I couldn't fake a phone call.  Worst of all, I was by myself, so I didn't have a comrade to bail me out of the trenches.  I was stuck behind enemy lines.

As it turns out, this man fishes a tournament trail that I plan on entering this Spring.  He proceeded to tell me that it is the best tournament trail in the nation, and that I better have my 'you-know-what' together, or else I would be wasting my money.  On top of that, when he learned of my dream of being a professional fishing guide, he condescendingly shook his head saying, "Naw man, ain't no money in that.  You're wasting your time."

Okay, so let me get this straight:  A complete stranger approaches me, and in a single conversation openly doubts my fishing talent, shoots down one of my lifelong dreams, and talks to me like a child.  Nicely done sir, nicely done. 

After finally weaseling my way out of the store and saving my eardrums from further punishment, I was left with an indescribably sour taste in my mouth.  I wasn't really mad at the man, because it would be a waste of my energy.  I just let it go and kept on truckin'.  However, the sour taste was largely due to my painful realization:  Fishing is rapidly evolving into an extremely pretentious and arrogant sport. 

While I wholly recognize the colossal importance of confidence in competitive fishing, one must also realize the very distinctive disparity between self-belief and egotism. 

Who knows, maybe the man from the tackle shop really is the best fisherman in the world.  Chances are, he's not, but let's just give him the benefit of the doubt.  Either way, absolutely nothing is gained from arrogance, regardless of the situation it is applied to.  Instead of wallowing in one's own self-belief, why not use your talents and abilities to bestow your knowledge upon others in order to make them better?

Fishing is a brotherhood,  and it is far too often that anglers lose sight of this indispensable notion. 

Competitive fishing revolves around exactly what the name suggests: competition.  However, it is of the utmost importance that we remember our biggest commonality - we are all a special breed of people with a shared respect and reverence for our sport and the creatures that we seek.  We should be willing to humbly contribute to the growth and development of the sport that has had such an enormous positive impact on our lives.

The only person who can fully, one hundred percent relate with a fisherman, is a fisherman.  It is my absolute hope that we all keep this in mind throughout our travels and interactions with fellow fishermen, fans, and most importantly, the younger generation.  When it is all said and done, it really isn't about being better than someone.  You can't take success to your grave.  It is about helping one another and enjoying time and fellowship with people who share the same passion.  Sure, winning is great.  I love winning.  However, I find that the humble, hardworking anglers are a lot more successful than the boastful, outspoken ones. 

I encourage everyone, for the good of our sport, to put your pride aside and put on a smile.  Be pleasant.  Be polite.  And be forever thankful that the Lord allows you to be a fisherman. 

*I'll leave you with a quick, very succinct bible verse from Romans.  Even if you do not have particular spiritual beliefs, it is a great excerpt nonetheless:

Romans 11:18 - "Do not be arrogant towards the branches.  If you are, remember it is not you who support the root, but the root that supports you."

No comments:

Post a Comment