Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Last Semester of College: A Spring Preview



Photo (c) The Union-Recorder


Well, the final semester of my college career has finally arrived.  Before I know it, I'll be in the real world chasing down my lifelong dreams in professional fishing and outdoor sports writing.  While it is equally as exciting as it is nerve wracking, I can't help but realize how blessed I am just to have a dream.

How many people can honestly say that they are chasing their dreams?  Not as many as you would think.  I have an outstanding family which fully supports my quest for a career in the outdoor industry, and excellent friends to match.  I find great comfort knowing that, even if I fail miserably, I will always have fans and supporters.  I cannot thank you all enough for that.  It means the world to me.  All of the supportive emails, Facebook messages, phone calls, and text messages are more than I have ever expected or deserved.  Although I'm sometimes bad about responding promptly, each and every one of them puts a smile on my face. 

As I continue down this long and winding road, I've realized how easy it is to get caught up in all of the work!  While at home over the Christmas break, my wonderful mom shared a bit of her perpetual wisdom with me that really put things into perspective -- What's the point in getting to the finish line if you don't enjoy the journey?  As usual, she's right.  I am going to enjoy every second of this journey.

With that being said, I'm so excited to get back on the water and on the road this spring!  My teammates are some of my very best friends (and, not to mention, some of the best collegiate fishermen in the country), and I always look forward to the fellowship we share over all of our long road trips.  I'll be all over the southeast fishing my last collegiate season, and I hope to ride the momentum of our November Auburn Fall Classic win.  I'll keep everyone updated on my tournament schedule as it is made known to me.


To wrap up the season, I'll be heading back to Lake Lewisville in Dallas, Texas to participate in the 2011 BoatUS National Championship.  Should be a wild ride!

In between tournaments, I will be making appearances in various Walmarts in Georgia working as an FLW Ambassador.  I will be assisting customers with fishing tackle selections and sharing my knowledge of bass fishing with the younger generation.  Heck, I'll probably learn just as much as they will!  As most of you know, I love meeting people and talking fishing, so this should be right up my alley! 

I'll also be working hard to submit fishing articles to both local and national publications.  I recently got a gig writing for About.com's Freshwater Fishing section and I am very thankful and excited for it!  The editor, Ronnie Garrison, took a chance on me and has been very helpful in my development as a writer.  I am learning from the best -- thanks Ronnie!  Check out the site at About.com - Freshwater Fishing.  I should also have an article in Georgia Outdoor Adventures next month.

In addition, I'm also looking forward to continuing my work with FLW Outdoors and possibly Georgia Outdoor News (GON) this spring.

Lastly, I hope this spring will also bring some sponsorship deals my way.  I'm always working hard to reach out to good companies which I believe in.  With everyone being effected by today's economic climate, it's been tough!  I've come close to a few deals, but they have fallen through so far.  I know that with enough hard work, the Lord will put me in touch with the right companies and products!

I really want to thank everyone for everything.  This has been a crazy (and busy!) ride so far, and words can't accurately articulate my excitement for what's to come.  I've still got a long way to go, but I am looking forward to the journey.  The Lord has blessed me with the greatest family, friends, teammates, and mentors a fisherman could ask for.

My friend and professional fisherman, Shaye Baker, has been hugely helpful in my journey so far, and I couldn't be more thankful for that.  Thanks brother!

In the meantime, I will continue to put my nose to the grindstone and be the hardest working guy out there.  I won't stop 'til I get there, because I believe in my dream with every ounce of my being.  Y'all are the best!  Good Fishing!

Ecclesiastes 4: 9-10 --"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work; If one falls down, his friend can help him up.  But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!"

1 comment: